Monday, February 2, 2015

The Great Art Wall Project - Part 5: Vintage Collage

When I was creating Christmas ornaments, I came across instructions for a vintage looking one with lace that looked neat: http://ift.tt/1zKUF4r However, I couldn’t find lace anywhere – side note – craft stores and dollar stores don’t carry lace (at least not the ones I visited). When I finally got some from my mom, Christmas had passed and I didn’t want to make any new ornaments yet. But the idea stayed with me and I decided to create a vintage collage. I looked through all my supplies and pulled out a flat canvas (from the Dollar Store), lace, steampunk inspired key and other ornaments (these I got from Deserres), an old wooden puzzle, and anything else that looked interesting. I played around with a variety of placements and after gluing some of them onto the canvas, I liked where it was going. I decided before I glued anything else, I should try the painting technique as described in the ornament instructions – it looked awful. I would’ve taken a picture but I was concerned with saving the pieces I had glued on already so I quickly pulled them all off – the lace, ribbon, and canvas weren’t savable but easily replaceable. I started a new one with a thicker canvas and stayed away from paint.


Hodge podge of vintage!

Hodge podge of vintage!



The ribbon is from the Dollar Store from Christmas. The letters are from a collection of erasers I had when I was a kid (yes, I was a bit of a pack rat back then but I have since sorted out my junk – I had the foresight to see the craft potential of the letter erasers though). I painted them white – it took a few coats. I could have spray painted them, I suppose but last time, I was banished from my craft room for the rest of the night due to the fumes. It’ll be easier when the weather gets warmer and I can spray paint outside. I coated the puzzle pieces with modge podge to give them a bit of a shine. The flower is from a garland I own. The pearls are beads I had bought a while back. After these items and the lace, I felt it was unfinished but didn’t know what else to add. I left it for a few hours and showed it to my boyfriend. He suggested something geometric in the space between the keys and the puzzle. I looked through my shelves again and found some foreign coins but they didn’t look right. Then it hit me – origami! I tried a few different shapes but settled on the flower and added in the pearl bead. I still felt the bottom corner needed something, remembered I had a bunch of brass thumb tacks, and voila! My vintage collage was complete.






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1DlAaIA

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment