Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Wardrobes, puppies and packing and DIY crafts

At times I never thought we would make it to this point, but, we will be completing on our first home next Thursday 12th February. Although we’ve had our ups and downs, the process hasn’t been as stressful as I’d imagined (I know I should probably reserve judgment until the moment the keys are in my hand!).


The last few weeks have been very exciting, Adam and I have spent a rather large fortune in Farrow and Ball and Laura Ashley on paint and wallpaper. I know how I want the house to look once we’ve finished but I’m not entirely sure I’m being realistic about the hard work that needs to be involved before we start with the fun decorating part! The house is head to foot wallpaper and artex at the moment!


We’ve also decided to paint the kitchen cabinets and tiles. The cupboards are currently a farmhouse wooden style and the tiles are a creamy colour with random fruit pictures. Everything seems good quality which is why we’ve decided to try and revamp the existing kitchen rather than replace the whole thing. Eventually we would like to take down the dividing wall between the kitchen and the dining room so it makes more sense to wait until then to refit the kitchen. I’m slightly concerned about the colour we’ve chosen for the cabinets as I’m worried it will look abit to dark. After much too-ing and fro-ing we decided on a farrow and ball eggshell emulsion in ‘moles breath’ (see picture below) with f&b ‘purbeck stone’ on the walls. I’m hoping that as it’s quite a large bright room it will balance out the darkness of the cabinets.


IMG_0059


We’ve also been on the hunt for various bits of furniture. In our current rented property we have large built in wardrobes which means that other than a wonky IKEA wardrobe (which we want to avoid taking with us) we were wardrobe-less! Anyone who knows me, knows that I love a furniture bargain! I love nothing more than finding a reasonably priced high quality piece of furniture and giving it a lick of paint. Most of our furniture has been acquired this way and I absolutely adore all of it. I mostly look for Stag furniture as the quality is incredible and the farrow and ball eggshell emulsion takes to it beautifully. Anyway, I managed to find a small second hand furniture shop in Bristol that was selling two stag wardrobes. After abit of bartering, Adam managed to get both wardrobes plus delivery for £100 and after a few coats of f&b hardwick white, they look absolutely beautiful and will match the rest of our bedroom furniture perfectly. I will at some point upload a tutorial, but for now, il attach a before and after pic of the wardrobes.


IMG_0063


IMG_0061


So any sane person would realise that moving house can be rather stressful and time consuming; particularly when the whole place needs an overhaul. Any sane person would probably realise that they will have their hands full for the first few months and therefore it isn’t a good idea to take on further challenges. Adam and I clearly are not sane people. We have decided that now would be a good time to get a puppy. Infact we are picking up said puppy on Saturday, 6 days before the big move! Most people have told us that we are bonkers, and I would probably have agreed with them until I bet my little bundle of fluff last week. He is a beautiful golden pedigree show cocker spaniel who is so far, without a name. As the entire house needs recarpeting, we decided that now would be a good time to get a puppy as it would make toilet training him slightly less stressful as it wouldn’t matter so much if he had a few little hiccups along the way.


At this point, I don’t know what is more exciting to me, moving into our new home or having cuddle with my gorgeous little puppy. I am certainly looking forward to the day that Adam and I can cuddle up on the sofa in our beautifully finished lounge with a puppy at our feet.


Il be back soon,


Georgie x






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/16fuFQV

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment