Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Crochet Granny Square Cushion Covers

Hey Guys,


It’s been another week or so since my last blog post – I’ve been in the process of finishing off my current project.


Since my post about BobWilson123’s Round Granny Square, I’ve been chipping away at a set of cushion covers.


Green Buttons, Duck Feather Pillow

Green Buttons, Duck Feather Pillow



It has taken a few weeks to complete. I started out under the impression I was going to do 4×4 squares on each side… this idea lasted perhaps a week or two. Well, until I got bored of making squares. I settled on 3×3. 36 squares in total. (A much reasonable amount for a relatively new person to the craft) I ended up using a total of 10 colours by the time I had finished.


In hindsight, it perhaps would have been a little bit easier if I’d decided before I started what I wanted them to look like. I should perhaps have picked the colours and the layout at the start? I picked 8 colour combinations…then made a couple of each. By the time I had 4 of each design, I started to play around with how they all looked together – and decided I didn’t have the energy to make that many more…


Once I had the number of squares I was happy with, it was back to YouTube to figure out how to stick them all together… Thank you once again to BobWilson123.org for the useful videos. I decided to crochet the squares together, rather than sewing. (I didn’t have a needle big enough to hold my yarn!) Crocheting the squares together gives you a raised edging which I think added to the design. If you’re wondering about the orange I used to crochet them together – that was my friends choice. She’d asked for it. Honest.


After crocheting the squares together, I then decided to do another couple of rounds on each – I chose two prominent colours from each side. A magenta and a bright blue on one side and a bright green and a lovely purple on the other.


Finally, one last round – in orange to tie the colours together. I experimented a little here. I ended up with a variation of a scalloped edge I guess. 2 trebles, c2, 2 trebles.


To finish them off, I single crocheted the two sides together using a white yarn. I did this on 3 sides, then on the one remaining side, I did a single crochet on both pieces separately and added 3 buttons to one of them. Creating button holes was not necessary due to the handy spaces in the orange round.



This evening, my friend sent me a photo of the finished cushions on her couch. So, I’ve now finished my first actual project – and made money on it too. What a result!






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1yxs7nI

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment