Tuesday, March 3, 2015

#23: "Extreme Situations" Frozen in Time

DSC_0963

Sharpie in the ice.



For Virginia, the amount of snow we experienced recently was pretty extreme, but now that it’s melting an idea sprang into my head about permanence. So many things in this world aren’t permanent; so many tings fade away with time. Not Sharpie however, Sharpie is permanent. I wanted to show this in an extreme way, so I decided to stick with the snow and ice theme and froze a golden Sharpie in a block of ice.


DSC_0965

Proof that it is completely surrounded by ice.



I wanted to show a juxtaposition of the permanent Sharpie with the ephemeral ice. To illustrate my point in the best way, I decided to freeze water around the marker.


DSC_0974

The Sharpie starting to emerge.



It took awhile, but it finally worked and the Sharpie became frozen in ice, stuck. I then let the block of ice sit out to melt away with the Sharpie staying intact the way it always has been, permanent.


DSC_0977

Almost there.



How does this connect to aplomb and extreme situations? Well the idea of permanence is actually pretty extreme if you think about it. Permanence means that something will exist for eternity (or pretty close). Not many things in this world can boast that. In all honesty, it’s probably accurate to say that even a drawing made with Sharpie can’t truly last “forever.” Truly permanent things are hard to find. Sharpie is close however, and that’s what matters, it’s more permanent than most things. It’s even quite possible that a doodle made with Sharpie can last longer than a human life. That’s pretty extreme.


Now another thing about permanence is that it takes some bit of confidence to make or do anything “permanent.” To do anything permanently is to never be able to go back, to never have a do over. In making a “permanent” decision you must be confident in it. If you make a “permanent” decision without being confident in it you may later regret it and it could lead to serious negative consequences.


I hope that my ice experiment helped illustrate my points on permanence, albeit a little bit abstractly. I wanted to do something new and different with this post, something extreme and out of my comfort zone. I hope if I missed the mark I didn’t do so by too much.


DSC_0978

All the ice around it has melted.



DSC_0979

The Sharpie is out of the ice, safe, intact, and can surprisingly still write.







from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1ADwLBM

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment