Thursday, March 5, 2015

DIY Craft: Paint Chip Art

Because I live in an apartment and not a house (someday…), I try to decorate the interior so it looks less like an apartment. I put curtains over as many windows as possible, especially the sliding glass door to cover up the awful vertical blinds that seem to break every time I touch them. Rugs go under the dining room table and our bed, and in the kitchen and by the door.


I also hang art and pictures on our walls, perhaps a little too enthusiastically; we’re going to have a lot of nail holes to fill when we move out. The wall decor consists of a combination of photos of our family, art prints that I bought in college to cover my spartan dorm room walls, and art that I made myself in high school. That last category is probably the least attractive, but I hold onto it for sentimental reasons and to remind myself I was good at it once.


I’ve recently started to make my own art again, but with far less expensive materials than oil paints and in methods that require far less time and actual talent. And what materials are better than free?


Paint chips are free at your local hardware store, and the shapes you can cut out and the arrangements you can make are literally endless! #diy #craft #artofdomesticengineering


This is made with free paint chips, or paint sample cards, from the hardware store. Simply pick the colors you like, select a shape for each individual color, cut them out and arrange them, and voila! The only limitation is your creativity. This is another fun paint chip project that I found that would be fun to make for a child’s bedroom, and even for an older child to help you assemble.


Paint chip animals - what a cute idea for a child's bedroom! Older kids would be able to help out with this one themselves, too! #diy #crafts #artofdomesticengineering


If you’re feeling really imaginative, you could cut out circles and go for an impressionist look.


Paint chip sunset - looks like a Monet impressionist painting! Beautiful! #diy #crafts #artofdomesticengineering


I made a version of the following paint chip project for my bathroom using shades of blue, yellow, and aqua. I love the light-to-dark ombre effect and the herringbone pattern.


I made a version of this one for my bathroom using shades of yellow, blue, and aqua. The paint chips were free from Home Depot, and I put them in a $10 frame from Ikea after arranging them. #diy #craft #artofdomesticengineering


Here’s what mine looked like once I cut and assembled my pieces:



And here is the finished product inside its $10 Ikea frame:



I’m currently working on another one for my living room using diamond-shaped pieces, but I realized after cutting the pieces out that I needed more to get the size I wanted. So I’ll be heading back to Home Depot at some point to get more paint chips, probably in lighter shades than the colors I already have.


Which of the paint chip projects do you like best? Let me know in the comments. Happy crafting!






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1zMX74b

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment