Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Great Art Wall Project - Part 10: Map Letters and DIY crafts

I’m back with a new project! I knew I wanted to do something with maps but couldn’t think of the right thing. I also wanted to have one large word as a part of my wall gallery. So it became obvious that I should get some letters and cover them in map pieces.


Being a wordy, I spent some time picking out the best one word to describe as many different aspects of my life as I could. I also asked my boyfriend for ideas. I was favouring “adventure”, “create”, and such but it was he who came up with “explore”. It was perfect plus it incorporated the map idea.


The Dollar Store only had the wooden letters I used for our initials and I remembered that they were difficult to cover. Also, I didn’t want to use the same style so I scouted around. Deserres had a bunch of letters but the only ones that were the size I wanted were $5 each and being unemployed, I was ready to spend $35 on one project. Instead, I found some thick card for a lot cheaper and decided to make my own. Doing the letters reminded me of when I was in school making posters and banners.


20150301_112950


It took a while to do them all but it was worth it. The edges were rough, I used a box cutter, but they would be covered so I didn’t worry too much. (Also, I know the L is backwards, I was using the long edge of the card to save some cutting – once covered, it won’t make a difference).


A while back, when I knew I wanted to do something with maps, I went to World of Maps and asked them if they had any unsellable maps. I got a few from them for free! I cut up one that had a lot of lakes on it. And glued the pieces with mod podge. Note: don’t wear nail polish when doing this project; the glue ruins it.


When gluing on the pieces, make sure to leave enough over lap on the edges to be able to fold and glue them to the back. This gives the letters a smoother edge.


The overlap allows for easier wrapping.

The overlap allows for easier wrapping.



In the end, the letters turned out pretty great. The thick card was a good choice since it wouldn’t warp as much from the glue as thinner papers would have. Here’s the final product. I can’t wait to see them on the wall.


A Finished E






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1zYHIP9

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment